Friday, January 4, 2008

Bangalore Ultra Dec 16, 2007 - 26K Run Report

Photo credit: Bob Van Zant

After running the Kaveri Trail Half Marathon with the excellent Runners For Life (RFL) group, I was sure that I wanted to run in the first Bangalore Ultra in December. I was tempted to register for the 52K event, but I reminded myself that my last marathon was in June 2004 (I ran the Big Sur International Marathon in California that year), which surely qualified me as an ex-marathoner. 2007 had also been a modest running year for me with less than 700 miles logged, with the longest run being the half marathon distance, so I was hardly in shape to push myself for the 52K event. So I signed up for the 26K event, which I was confident I would do comfortably.

Race day saw me headed out of home at 4:15 in the morning, headed for Cubbon Park. From here we were to be bussed to Our Native Village, a rustic resort in Hasseraghatta, which was where the race was to start from. The bus ride was bumpy enough that getting a snooze in during the ride was impossible. At 6:00 AM the bus stopped a little short of the venue, and we could make out the dim outlines of the 52K+ runners start their race. Some of them would probably be on the trail for most of the day, running 52K, 78K or even 104K – inspiring stuff! At the venue, the RFL guys had things under control, with an efficient staff guiding us through the usual pre-run routine. It was a cool morning, and some of us stretched and warmed up. With ten minutes to go for the 7:00 AM start, we were corralled into the starting area, where Arvind Krishnan (A1) made a few stirring comments about the upcoming run. He introduced Dinesh – a 71-year old runner, who was going to run 26K. The two RFL Arvinds (A1 and A2) had pulled an all-nighter, but were going to run their 52K as planned. These guys had organized the best race I have experienced in the country; over the past weeks and months they had fretted and sweated over the smallest details, and worked their tails off to put up a perfect race for all of us. Yet here they were, after a full night's toil, all ready to hit the trails – amazing guys!

Here’s an example of a small detail – a couple of minutes before the start, the DJ played “We Will Rock You” by Queen over the sound system to pump up the runners – if that start doesn’t rock a race, nothing else will. The course - changed at the insistence of the Bangalore cops at the last minute - was an out-and-back 13K, so we were to do two loops to complete our planned distance of 26K. There were three aid stations in each 6.5K leg, which meant that we could expect plenty of support during the run. Promptly at the stroke of 7, off we went, the 100+ 26K runners, and a smattering of 52K+ runners. The course was mostly dirt track, and passed through lovely country with picture postcard kind of views. It was a cool and cloudy morning, which is great for distance running. The aid stations were well stocked with water, Gatorade, biscuits, peanut-butter and jelly sandwiches, fruits and other assorted stuff. The volunteers at the aid stations were encouraging and attentive to the needs of the runners. It was easy to see that A1/A2 weren’t kidding when they said that all their planning was done with the simple premise that the runner was king. A little beyond the 6.5K aid station where we made a U-turn to head back, my stomach started to feel uneasy. By the time I reached the aid station closest to the starting point, I was feeling distinctly uncomfortable, and I knew that I would have to make a pit stop at the starting point. I reached the starting point (which was also the halfway point for the run) at 1:25, and dived into the restroom promptly. Emerging a few minutes later - a changed man - I headed back onto the course for Lap 2. It was much better this time, and I found myself picking up the speed a bit. Some ways into the course I saw Rajesh Vetcha running the opposite way – he was doing the 52K – and when he neared, Rajesh commanded me to do an extra loop. If ever there was a run where you wanted to push your boundaries, then this had to be it - everything about the run was perfect – the course, the weather, the support crew, and the other runners, who were constantly egging each other on. I decided that I would do an extra loop assuming that nothing untoward happened during the rest of the run. At the 6.5K turnaround point for the second time now, I was feeling strong, so I decided to step up the pace some more. With 3K to go, I speeded a tad more, and got to the finish line in 2:39 for 26K. Although I had not set myself a timing goal, I was pleased with the time, and even happier that I was fresh enough to go for another 13K lap, after a quick change of T-shirt.

The extra lap was even more fun than the first two. I walked and ran my way through the lovely course and chatted with known faces, including the awesome A’s. The sun had begun to peek out of the clouds, so I made sure to get enough Gatorade at every aid station to avoid cramping. It was great to see that there were still plenty of runners on the course. I finished the extra 13K lap in 1:50. After briefly toying with the idea of doing another 3K, in order to have run a marathon distance, I opted instead for a chilled beer. I thought I’d done enough to earn a beer that morning by running 39K. The chilled beer with friends – Ninad, Dinesh and Abnash – was perfect, like everything else that morning. We even got called on stage a little later to be given our medals and timing certificates, something I would normally avoid, but which seemed so natural that morning.

On the ride back, it occurred to me that the last time I had such a warm and fuzzy glow after a run was when I was driving back home from Monterey after running the Big Sur Marathon in April 2004. That had been such an unforgettable running experience and I remember thinking that if someone could bottle that feeling, they would deserve the millions they would make. The Bangalore Ultra experience was every bit as good as the Big Sur experience. The fine, fine people at RFL put their everything into organizing India’s first Ultra, and gave us runners something we will cherish for a long time. Now if only they could find a way to bottle this feeling…

2 comments:

manoj said...

Good run.. even better post. Congrats!

gopi said...

Good narration. Congratulations!!! Keep going.

Wish you a happy new year!!
Gopi.